21.6.11

Asian Chicken Salad


Finally! It is summer. At least for today. That's the way it goes here in Calgary. The calendar doesn't really have much to do with when the seasons arrive or leave, or how long they stay. Winter totally overstayed its welcome this year and spring never did come but today, today it is summer - right on schedule! Bravo Summer! To celebrate that most welcome arrival (and hopefully entice the season to stay a while) we had a very delicious, fresh, and summery salad for dinner tonight. It was so good that I wanted to eat and eat and eat. It was all I served and all I wanted.

Asian Chicken Salad
(adapted fairly liberally from marthastewart.com)

5 cups shredded cabbage
3 cups shredded carrots
1 cup chopped cilantro 
1 cup lightly packed mint leaves, chopped
2 green onions (white and green parts), sliced thin
3 Tbsp black sesame seeds
2 cups chopped, cooked chicken

Dressing
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
2 tsp soy sauce
2 tsp almond oil*
1/2 tsp sesame oil
1/2 tsp agave nectar
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp hot chili oil

Combine the cabbage, carrots, cilantro, mint, onions, chicken, and sesame seed in a large bowl.

Whisk together the dressing ingredients and pour over the cabbage mixture. Serve immediately. And enjoy a most delicious way to eat your leafy greens.

*I used almond oil because I like the slightly nutty taste. I think there are many oils that offer a healthy advantage. I do not however believe that most vegetable oils including canola are wise health choices. In this salad I wouldn't use olive oil although I generally love it - too strong a taste. Hemp oil would be another good choice -  for health and taste.

2 comments:

shanan said...

Looks delicious. I'm going to have to give this one a try.

Jonathon said...

I can't wait to try this one. I'm going to sub in the walnut oil you bought me! Mmmm