24.4.12

roasted fennel and onion salmon


This is perhaps my favourite way to eat salmon. Perhaps. Hard call because I like salmon cooked and served many ways. One thing for sure is that every time I make and eat this I think (quietly to myself), 'mmmmm, this may be my favourite way to eat salmon.' The last time I made this I had to laugh a little (again to myself) because David said right out loud that he thought this may be his favourite way to eat salmon. It smells amazing while it is cooking, which is a very big point in its favour  - being as many prefer to bbq salmon due to the way it perfumes one's home. Better yet than the tantalizing aroma is the wonderful taste. To complete the hat-trick it is super-simple-absolutely-fail-proof.




I used to make this recipe in a very normal old pyrex baking dish. Now I have a beautiful Staub terrine pan that is perfect for a half-recipe, which is in turn perfect for just two of us. I love cast iron and this pan is so pretty. Elegant even.


roasted fennel and onion salmon
(from my good friend Kara)


2 small fennel bulbs, cut into 1/2" wedges
1 large onion, cut into 1/2" wedges
6 cloves garlic, smashed
1 cup cherry (or grape) tomatoes
1/2 bunch fresh thyme sprigs
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
4 (6 oz) salmon fillets
1 lemon, halved


Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Toos the fennel, onion, garlic, tomatoes, thyme, 1/2 tsp of the salt and 1/4 tsp of the pepper with the olive oil. Spread evenly in a 9x9 baking dish and roast for 20 minutes. Move the vegetables to the side of the pan, add the salmon and redistribute the vegetables around the salmon. drizzle the juice from the lemon over the salmon. Sprinkle with the remaining salt and pepper. Return to the oven and roast until the salmon is the same colour throughout and flakes easily, 10-12 minutes. 


I like to serve this brown rice and a salad of leafy greens with a balsamic vinaigrette. Easy. Healthy. Yummy.

3 comments:

ec said...

this looks delicious. pretty food always tastes better, right?

thanks for sharing ... will definitely be making this soon.

Jonathon said...

this looks soo good and quick. perfect!

child of the universe said...

We made this tonight. It was simply and fabulously delicious. I feel like a gourmet chef! (And that is a miracle...)
Holly