12.3.14

'detox' salad







Detoxing is so in-vogue these days that it is almost uncool. To be ahead of the curve is hip but when something hits the mass and everyone is doing it, that whole cool factor kind of evaporates. Nevertheless and regardless of how effective this salad is as a detoxifier, I am addicted to it. I came across the recipe on the daily feed from Chatelaine a couple months ago, added it to the queue, and finally made it a month ago. Since then I have made five batches of this salad - it makes a large amount (about 10 cups) and I can honestly and safely say that I have eaten most of all five batches myself. I can also honestly say that I kind of wish I had! I sent a sample to my sister and she sent back a text:

"had the salad last night. It made me think of summer and gardens"

At the tail end (fingers crossed) of this incredibly long, cold, hard winter I really can't think of anything better to say about the salad. That it also happens to be chock-full of incredibly healthy ingredients is simply a bonus.

This salad is not 'pretty' but it is ever-so-delicious. A food processor is an asset here but not vital. If you don't have one your chopping skills will get a workout but it is still worth it. I made a few small changes to the recipe I first read - among them a shredded beet and some olive oil. In or out, you really want to try this.

detox salad
(from Chatelaine - barely tweaked)

2 heads broccoli florets, stems removed and florets chopped
1 head cauliflower, stems removed and florets chopped
4 medium carrots, shredded
1 medium golden beet, shredded
1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
3/4 cup dried cranberries
3/4 cup raisins
6-8 stems fresh parsley
6 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp sea salt
2 Tbsp maple syrup (or to taste)
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Put the broccoli florets and parsley into the bowl of the food processor and process until fine (just a step away from making it into a paste). Add to a large bowl.

Process the cauliflower until fine and add to the bowl with the broccoli and parsley.

Using the shredding attachment process the carrots and then the beet. Add these vegetables to the others in the bowl. Stir in the cranberries, raisins, sunflower seeds, lemon juice, olive oil, sea salt, maple syrup and cinnamon.

This is delicious right away. It also saves well for several days worth of lunches and snacks.



1 comment:

Katie said...

This sounds like the perfect thing for me to have in the fridge for lunch! Thanks for sharing!