20.6.12

crunchy sprouts & seeds with chive vinaigrette




A while ago - several months probably - I bought something called 'Sprouted Bean Trio' with the tag "a colorful, quick-cooking, and nutritious blend of lentils, adzuki, and mung beans". Who could blame me?! And then the bag of colorful nutrition sat on the pantry shelf, lonely and forgotten, until I tried a recipe from Bon Appetit a couple of weeks ago. That recipe was not nearly as delicious as I wanted it to be but there was potential for greatness. I mulled it over for a week or so and gave it another try early this week. Fresh chives from the garden, a bed of arugula and spinach, tart blueberries. This salad I love. Love! I really think I could eat it every day. It's... interesting. Try it.


crunchy sprouts & seeds with chive vinaigrette
(inspired by Bon Appetit)


1 cup mixed dried sprouted legumes*
1 cup cooked sprouted brown rice
2 green onions, thinly sliced
1/2 cup shelled pumpkin seeds
1/4 cup hemp seed hearts
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup finely chopped curly parsley
1/2 cup raisins
2 cups fresh blueberries
fresh greens - arugula and spinach


Combine the mixed dried legumes and a pinch of sea salt with 3 cups of water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, 10 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water.


In a large bowl combine the cooked legumes, rice, green onions, the seeds, raisins, and chopped parsley. Toss with about half the vinaigrette. Arrange on a generous bed of greens, with a handful of blueberries on top. Pass the vinaigrette at the table in case someone wants a bit more :)


chive vinaigrette 


1/2 cup olive oil
2 Tbsp cider vinegar
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 tsp grey sea salt
2 tsp honey
1 clove garlic, minced
1/3 cup chives (not chopped but just kind of squished into the cup)


Put all the ingredients into a blender and process until smooth. 


* The brand I used is truRoots. Costco carries it.


What I arrived at after the mulling over is something that ticks all the boxes I like ticked - maybe another person would prefer the first recipe. But this is my blog so I get to share according to my taste. I just don't want to come across as thinking I'm all that - 'cause I don't :)

2 comments:

Jonathon said...

this looks incredible! Can't wait to make it.

Lisa Thompson said...

I have always wondered what to do with my blend of legumes! This looks amazing.