3.3.13

banana bread oatmeal

aka: banana bread slow cooker steel-cut oats


This was the email:

Hi Mom and Eden,
I made (up!) this incredible oatmeal that is honestly the BEST oatmeal I have ever eaten - which is saying a lot because it's not really my favorite. I should give credit where credit is due - as with most of my culinary victories this was also based on two of mom's recipes and I just combined them. 

: )
2 ripe banana's, mashed up (I used the hand mixer and added a bit of coconut milk)
1 cup steel cut oats
2 cups water
2 cups coconut milk
1 cup dried flaked coconut
1 Tbsp vanilla

Butter the inside of the pot, put it all in the slow cooker, stir it up and turn it on low overnight. When 
you wake up it smells like banana bread!! Chop a couple of handfuls of walnuts and put them on each serving. So good. 

Hope you guys are having a good day!

xo

The email-writer is Jonathon (my first-born) and although I may have to take issue with this being the best oatmeal I certainly agree that it ranks way up the list. It will be in the regular breakfast rotation here and that is evidence of 'way up the list' because I am very attached to my breakfasts and like to eat my faves regularly and often (just had a thought - maybe I should just eat breakfast more than once a day?). 

The banana bread recipe he refers to is our family's very favourite banana bread. Made with coconut it elevates the humble loaf more than just a little. 

Jonathon is a very good and innovative cook - he curates everything in his life and the way he eats is no different. I think he deserves the lion's share of credit for this culinary triumph.

I make a couple of small additions to the recipe and the method when I make this. It makes enough for four hearty bowls - which is just the way I like it. As there are usually only two at the breakfast table in our house I pack up half of the recipe for another day. It heats up beautifully. 

I like a drizzle of maple syrup - the real stuff and another pour of coconut milk over the top of mine.

banana bread oatmeal
(Jonathon's own)

2 ripe bananas
1 cup steel cut oats
2 cups water
2 cups coconut milk
1 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
1 Tbsp vanilla
1/8 tsp sea salt

For topping (per bowl):
2 tsp cocao nibs
1 1/2 tsp hemp seed hearts
1 Tbsp chopped pecans

Butter the insert of your slow cooker. Add the oats, water coconut milk, coconut, vanilla and salt. Mash the bananas (I use a potato masher - quick and easy - never thought of using the mixer but there you go!) and add to the other ingredients in the slow cooker. Stir to mix. Cover.

Just before turning out the lights for the day turn the slow cooker on low. This is somewhat important because if you cook this for 8-10 hours you will be disappointed. I figure 7 hours is about the max. Too long and you have a very crusty slow cooker. When you wake up in the morning - which is a lot easier than most days because of the amazing aroma coming from the kitchen - make a beeline for the kitchen and turn off the slow cooker. Give the oats and all a stir, scraping the crusty bits off the sides. Put the lid back on and go off to have a shower or check your email or whatever you do for a bit. When you come back your oats will be the perfect temperature and if you give them a brisk stir the crusty bits mix in very nicely.

To reheat: we are going microwave-free these days so to reheat I put the cold, stiff oat mixture into a pot with a little more water - about 1/3 of a cup - turn the heat under the pot to low and stir gently until. After a very few minutes you have smooth, warm, lovely oats to help another day off to a great start. Or you can simplify and use the microwave; quick and easy.

3 comments:

ec said...

this sounds delicious!

we've been microwave free for six years now and I love it. I can't imagine going back ;)

Jonathon said...

I sound like I'm high (but it was sooo good.)

xo

Tamatha Banks said...

Thank you so much for this recipe. We have been eating this since you posted it and it is the perfect thing for me to put on the night before and my husband can take it with him to work all week long. We cut the coconut down by about 1/4 cup but otherwise the recipe is perfect and we love it! My husband thanks you for this delicious addition to our mornings!