23.5.11

Chicken with Creamy Mushrooms and Snap Peas


I truly enjoy being alone. Alone as opposed to lonely - which I very much dislike. I have always been comfortable spending time with myself and many of the things I most enjoy doing are solitary pursuits or can easily be enjoyed on one's own. Reading, sewing, gardening, walking, even cooking. But one thing that I really dislike is eating alone. It feels ... lonely. There is no one to share the pleasure of good tastes, or the warmth of good conversation and shared interests. I have eaten more meals by myself than I prefer to for the last little bit so I was especially happy to share Sunday dinner with Thomas and Hannah's little family. 

The bonus? It was a fast, easy, and totally delicious meal. Only 25 minutes from beginning prep to first bite. Browning the chicken cutlets in coconut oil instead of the suggested vegetable oil added a lovely, subtle taste of coconut and increased the nutritional value of the meal. 

Chicken with Creamy Mushrooms and Snap Peas
(adapted from Great Easy Meals)

4 chicken cutlets
3 Tbsp flour
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 Tbsp coconut oil
1 Tbsp butter
4 green onions, thinly sliced
8 ounces cremini mushrooms, thickly sliced or quartered
1 1/4 cups chicken broth
3/4 cups cream
3 cups sugar snap peas, halved lengthwise

Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.  Combine the flour, salt, and pepper. Dredge the chicken cutlets in the flour mixture. Melt the coconut oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and cook the chicken until golden, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer the chicken to an oven-proof dish and keep warm in the oven while you prepare the vegetables.

Add the butter to the pan. Add the mushrooms and green onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms brown. Pour in the broth and bring to a boil. Cook until the liquid is reduced by half. Add the cream and boil until the sauce thickens slightly - 3-4 more minutes. Stir in the snap peas and heat through. Season with sea salt and freshly ground pepper. Serve the chicken topped with the creamy vegetables.


Cauliflower and an ancient grain/rice mixture  went well with the chicken and vegetables.

4 comments:

Eden Lang said...

we are always so sad to miss sunday dinners. looks amazing mom!

Eden Lang said...

and can I just add that your pictures are beautiful! love these ones:)

Jonathon said...

This was a good one. I love how none of us need to buy cook-books anymore. I only make things that you make so that they are guarenteed to be delicious, healthy, and if I have an trouble, I can just call for tech-support!

Cheri said...

lol! The tech-support thing is what moms are for.
Glad you liked it.

And Eden, I can't tell you how much your evaluation of my simple pictures means. Your work is so great that I am always more than a little bit embarrassed to show you mine. Thanks for all your help and teaching.