28.11.11

hummus adventures - otherwise known as spinach, feta, and almond butter hummus


When my kids were little and my days were filled with the busyness that little ones bring, I decided one fine autumn day to make my fortune by creating hand-made dolls and selling them at a local craft market. Good thing that I was feeling pretty fulfilled with mothering because the fortune was never realized. I ended up being quite disgusted with the number of people that would stop by my table, carefully examine my wares, and then proclaim that they could make it themselves. Gah!!!! Or, they would try to bargain me down to 5 - 10.00 per doll - which was totally offensive to me given that the materials alone amounted to a fair bit more than that, never mind the 30 or so hours involved in the creation. And to be honest (and not immodest) they were beautifully made dolls. I really doubted that many, if any, of the self-proclaimed artists could go home and make one. ahem...sorry, I will step off my soap box and contain the rant. I still get a bit hot after all this time. Anyway, the purpose of this long story is I must admit that I am guilty (almost) of the same offence. 

At the farmer's market last weekend I sampled some very delicious hummus. Spinach and feta hummus. It was not unreasonably priced but I can make my own for far less, and knowing how very easy it is to make, I sampled, loved, and decided that I could make something similar at home - for less. And walked away. At least I didn't say "I can make this at home myself." ....but I still feel a tiny bit bad.

Not terrible though. Because this hummus is incredibly yummy. And easy. It is just a riff on the peanut butter hummus I posted about a while ago. Try it yourself. At home. You can indeed make yourself for less. I won't be the least bit offended at this - in fact I would be thrilled.

spinach, feta, and almond butter hummus

1 396gm can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 small garlic clove, peeled and crushed
5 Tbsp natural almond butter
4 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
4 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp ground cumin 
scant 1/8 tsp ground cayenne pepper
3 cups lightly packed fresh baby spinach leaves, washed
2 oz (or about 60 gm) feta cheese, crumbled

Put all the ingredients in a food processor or blender and give it a whirl. When it is all nicely pureed, you are done. Simple.

Enjoy with pita bread, crisp flatbread, veggies - or all of the above.



No comments: