19.4.12

red cabbage, snap pea, and quinoa slaw


We were in Vancouver last week. Sigh..... 


Magnolias in bloom and fresh cherry blossoms bursting on every street. The sun was shining and the sky blue. The kind of weather that makes one long to live in Vancouver. I kept busy making as sure as possible to touch every single one of my favourite bases as I could in the time I had. So. Much. Fun. I went to Dressew - twice! (not sure if it is a sewer's heaven or hell there are so many choices), South Granville, Robson Street, and Granville Island. Took several wonderful walks  - some in the beautiful old neighbourhoods and some in the beautiful old-growth forests. Ate lots of good food with beloved friends and family. And did a fast mini-tour through the aisles of Whole Foods - a mecca for me since Calgary remains Whole Foods free.


The salad counter at Whole Foods offers some fun inspiration and it was there that I saw a combination that intrigued me enough to try my own similar combination of ingredients. It  is so good that I just about broke my arm patting my back! Seriously good. In all humility. lol It is the perfect lunch - protein, full of super healthy vegetables, packable, and delicious.




red cabbage, snap pea, and quinoa slaw


1/2 head red cabbage, sliced 
2 cups snap peas, sliced
3 medium carrots, grated
1 cup curly parsley, finely chopped
4 green onions, white and green parts sliced
2/3 cup red quinoa
1 mango, diced


Dressing: 
1/4 cup olive oil
2 Tbsp rice vinegar
1 Tbsp lime juice
1 tsp soy sauce
1/8 tsp cayenne
1 clove garlic 
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 green onion
1/4 cup parsley
1 1/2 Tbsp agave nectar
Combine in blender and process until smooth.


Cook the quinoa: combine 2 cups water with the quinoa in a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and cook for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, covered for another 4 minutes. Rinse in cold water to cool. Drain well.


Combine the cabbage, snap peas, carrots, green onions, parsley, mango and quinoa in a large bowl. Add the dressing and toss to combine.

1 comment:

Jonathon said...

You're so clever! I can't wait to try this.

Next mission: crack the code of the fish tacones!