8.5.12

coconut mascarpone fruit dip



I generally like my fruit fresh and naked but I can make the odd exception. And this dip is it. Still fresh but not naked. In fact, the fruit is simply the vehicle to get the dip into my mouth. Fingers or spoons work too but that's kind of frowned on.... anyway, the dip improves the fruit and the fruit improves the dip. Kind of like the best friendships.

I know it looks like cream of wheat porridge! Don't be fooled - it is heavenly delicious. With my very meager camera skills I tried every way I could think of to show how amazing this is and finally decided that it was a task well beyond my ability. You'll just have to trust me and try it. It is so easy that it really isn't any kind of a risk - and the return on the risk is significant.

I was inspired (grand word but in this case a good one) by a dip a friend brought to a party. Wanting to make a version that Eden could enjoy (no refined sugar) I used honey, Greek yogurt instead of sour cream, and mascarpone seemed like a good choice over cream cheese. This is good as soon as it is whipped together. Leave it for a day in the fridge and the flavours do wonderful things together - again like best friends. I guess I should say if you don't like coconut give this a pass because it is richly coconutty but....... this may just change your mind in favour of coconut.

Serve with whatever fruit you fancy. My first taste was with an apple slice and I was hooked. It only got better from there. Best fruit/dip combination? Fresh pineapple - for sure!



coconut mascarpone fruit dip

1 cup mascarpone cheese
1 cup plain full fat Greek yogurt
1 cup unsweetened fine flake dried coconut
1/3 cup honey

Beat all the ingredients together until well mixed. 


2 comments:

Jonathon said...

This sounds so good and it's not even bad for you. Most people's breakfasts are way worse! Awesome invention mom. It's even stuff that's pretty much on-hand all the time. I can't wait to try it.

(I think the photos are actually pretty impressive. You're right, the dip looks like cream of wheat but the photos were still pretty enticing - that's talent!)

Anonymous said...

I made this for a party tonight and it was delicious - thank you for this recipe, I will be making this again!