2.5.12

something to stop and think about:


"No one has ever loved anyone the way everyone wants to be loved." 
- Mignon McLaughlin 


As I have no control over how others love me but a reasonable degree of control over my own actions perhaps I can make a greater effort to love at least a few people the way that I want to be loved - with great tenderness, generosity, and tolerance. Or maybe what I should really aim for is to love them the way that they want to be loved. If I can only discern how that is....


update after my mind-clearing walk: I actually think that many are loved the way they want to be loved - we just have a hard time recognizing that we are. And really how do I want to be loved? I want to be seen and known for who I aspire to be as well as who I am now, the best parts of me. To be cherished despite my faults and quirks - maybe even for them. That's all. Honestly? I really believe I love my children this way. And honestly?  I believe David loves me this way (although I sometimes fail to see it). Am I blessed? Absolutely.

3 comments:

Jocelyn said...

I have blog stalked for a long time. I love your blog! Today, it really speaks to me. I needed to hear it! Thank-you.

urinalsoftheworld said...

Great post Cheri . . . thanks.

I think Mignon missed the mark by failing to consider the degree to which we are loved by God.

"I have loved thee, with and everlasting love"
Jeremiah 31:3

I would submit that the only one that can provide us with the perfect love we crave is God. We will always have a sense of missing something unless we come to know His love. Once we do, it redefines us completely and fills the void. As we perceive God's love for us, we begin to love ourselves, others and our Heavenly Father more perfectly.

"We love him, because he first loved us."
1 John 4:19

The great challenge in life is to remember 'who loves ya' and really believe it.

Cheri said...

Good point Reid! Thanks.