28.5.12

raspberry rhubarb galette



Of all the things I grow in my garden, rhubarb is my favourite. I honestly love the taste, it looks cool, and rhubarb is incredibly good for you. There are compounds in rhubarb that can fight cancer (anthraquinones), lower cholesterol, reduce inflammation, lower blood pressure, and protect eye and brain health. It contains resveratrol, lutein, zeaxanthin, (all powerful antioxidants) and good amounts of B complex vitamins, as well as vitamin K and C, calcium, potassium, and manganese. Impressive!


Being a committed rhubarb lover I personally think rhubarb shines nicely in its very own spotlight. I have tried to be enthusiastic about rhubarb and berry combinations but they always leave me cold. To be truthful I dislike them. This combination was not bad but honestly? the galette would be so much better (in my opinion) if it was straight-up rhubarb filled. Whatever the filling, I feel myself entering a galette phase. Really so easy, with none of the fuss and mess that pie in a pan entails. Rhubarb is just the beginning.

When I started this blogging adventure my intent was not a cooking blog. Actually it is still not my intent but it is a fun thing to share recipes. My standard when it comes to sharing recipes is to only share those that I feel are really amazing. You know, the things that you make and enjoy so much that you want everyone to have the pleasure. Everybody has plenty (or at least enough) mediocre recipes in their files so I determined not to add more of that calibre. Having said that this recipe does not quite reach the mark and so I have considered the merits of including it - deciding as you see, to include it based on how much fun it is to make. Pies are not difficult but galettes are joyfully easy. And they look so effortlessly cool as well. No try-hard perfection here.


raspberry rhubarb galette
(adapted from Martha Stewart)


5 cups chopped rhubarb (cut into 1/2" pieces)
1 1/2 cups fresh raspberries
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 cup sugar
1/8 tsp cinnamon
pinch of nutmeg
Turbinado sugar
Cornmeal Pate Brisee*
1 egg, beaten


Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.


On a lightly floured surface roll out dough to a 14" round, about 1/8" thick. Transfer to baking sheet.


Combine the cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg, and sugar. Toss the rhubarb and raspberries with the sugar mixture - taking care not to mangle the raspberries. Arrange the mixture on the dough circle, leaving a border of about 2" all the way around. Fold border over fruit mixture, overlapping where necessary. Press fold gently. Brush dough with beaten egg and sprinkle with a tablespoon or two of sugar.


Bake until crust is deep golden and juices are bubbling - about 55 or 60 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature, with or without cream - iced or whipped.


*Cornmeal Pate Brisee
1 cup flour
1/4 cup cornmeal
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
3-4 Tbsp ice cold water


Combine the flour, cornmeal, sea salt, and sugar in the bowl of a food processor and pulse a few times to combine. Add the butter and process until the mixture resembles a coarse meal. With machine running, add the water in a thin stream through the feed-tube - just until the dough holds together. Only about 30 seconds total - don't over-process. 


Gather the dough into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30  minutes before rolling out.

2 comments:

Eden Lang said...

so pretty!

Anonymous said...

Rhubarb always reminds me of you.

this looks good. Tarts seem less intimidating than a full-on pie.

:)