9.9.12

summer pasta





Driving homeward Saturday evening after a very full, really great day I was trying to think of something to make for dinner. Something really simple because I was feeling tired and lazy and  it was already past dinner-time. It also needed to be really yummy because I was not terribly interested in eating anything. At all. I was trying to convince myself that tomato sandwiches would be acceptable and was almost there when I remembered this. Honestly almost as easy as tomato sandwiches.

I really didn't plan to post this but after we had more or less finished eating - you know, the sitting at the table thinking about another forkful finished - David asked me if I was blogging this. I looked at the empty plates, thought about another forkful, and decided yup, I should. Because this is the kind of food that you just want to keep eating... like buttered popcorn.

You will really want to use some of the exceptional tomatoes that are abundant now, basil you just picked (or picked up), and the best olive oil you can afford. The sauce is uncooked but when you add the hot pasta  it warms the cheese and tomatoes just enough. For what you ask? Just enough. You'll see.

summer pasta
(adapted from The Silver Palate Cookbook)

4 medium perfectly ripe tomatoes, chopped roughly
1 medium clove garlic, crushed
1/4 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves, washed and dried
5 Tbsp excellent olive oil
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
3/4 cup crumbled feta
340 gm pasta (I used penne)

Put the chopped tomatoes into a serving bowl along with the garlic and olive oil. Roughly chop the basil and add it to the bowl. Grind in a generous amount of black pepper and some sea salt. Crumble in the feta, give everything a gentle stir, and let it sit (on the counter) for at least as long as it takes to cook the pasta - or as long as 8 hours.

Cook the pasta just to al dente. Strain, slip it into the sauce bowl, and fold everything gently together until it is well combined. Serve immediately and when you are finished, try not to lick the plate :)

3 comments:

urinalsoftheworld said...

Definitely blogworthy . . . it looks so good.
I have one tip for you though: take some crusty bread, spread some butter on it, and then use it to soak up that leftover sauce. Eat and repeat. There are starving people in Africa!

ec said...

menu planning right now...this is goin on it. thank you!!

Jill said...

I made this last night with fresh tomatoes, basil, & fresh mozzarella crumbles because that is what we had. It was so good! Thanks.