7.1.13

tandoori cauliflower



A few months back I tried a recipe from My New Roots. It was fabulous! So fabulous that I wanted more of the tandoori goodness in every bite, which inspired me to take liberties with Sarah's recipe when I made it a second time. Instead of roasting the cauliflower whole - as beautifully impressive as that is - I chopped the head into florets, tossed them in the marinade, and continued on to roast the fragrant yumminess. I love roasted cauliflower (despite the powerful scent memory it leaves) and this might just be my favorite way to roast it.

Sarah suggests serving it with a wonderful mint chutney, a suggestion I heartily endorse - simple to make it elevates interesting to amazing. The recipe is here. I took big liberties with the tandoori spice blend because I didn't want a batch of the blend hanging around.... plus I didn't have exactly all the bits that were required and a trip to the spice shop was not going to happen before dinner. I may have short-changed us on flavour but it was so delicious that I have a hard time imagining how that could be.

tandoori cauliflower
(adapted from My New Roots)

1 large head cauliflower, washed and chopped into florets

1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground coriander seeds
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp paprika
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1/8 tsp cayenne (or to taste)
4 cloves garlic
1 Tbsp minced fresh ginger
4 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tsp sea salt
3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt

Smash the garlic and ginger together to make a paste. (You can try this in a food processor if you like - I didn't have a lot of success. It was much better when I just smashed them with the flat of my knife.) Add the spices, salt and lemon juice and mix well. Add the yogurt and stir until it is smooth.

Pour the yogurt/spice marinade over the cauliflower florets, toss to mix well, and let sit on the fridge for at least an hour but no more than 12.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread the cauliflower on the baking sheet and roast until tender - about 30-45 minutes. Serve with a generous garnish of cilantro, a healthy drizzle of your best olive oil, and of course, the mint chutney.

2 comments:

Jill said...

YUM. I will be trying this and adding her book to my library list. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

I was just thinking the other day that I would like to try something like this with cauliflower. Your sounds delicious.