8.10.10

Grandy's Noga

photo by Eden Lang

I hate to brag (okay, may be I actually would like to ... a bit! I am trying to overcome that) but I do make some pretty great granola. Jane calls it "Noga" and I kind of like that so it sticks. After years of trial and error this is my recipe and I like it. It is healthy, slightly chewy (unless you bake it too long), fast and easy, yummy, yummy, yummy, smells amazing, .... I could go on but that's boring!


Grandy's Noga

6 cups old fashioned oats
2 cups sweetened flaked coconut
2/3 cup chopped almonds
2/3 cup green pumpkin seeds (not roasted)
2/3 cup sunflower seeds
1/4 cup shelled hemp seed
1/4 cup flaxseed meal
1 cup roughly chopped pecans
1/3 cup dark brown sugar
2 tbsp cinnamon
Mix above ingredients well.
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/3 cup honey
2/3 cup canola oil
1 tsp vanilla
Mix well and pour over the dry ingredients. Mix VERY WELL!!!! - for several minutes. (This minimizes the chance of burned spots in the granola - I have learned this from sad experience).
Spread mixture evenly over two 17x12 inch cookie sheets lined with greased foil. Bake in 325 F oven for 10 minutes, stir and bake for another 10 minutes. Add dried fruit. (Whatever mixture strikes your fancy but a total of about 2 cups per cookie sheet. I use a raisins, craisins, dried apples, apricots.)

One of my favorite ways to enjoy Noga is with yogurt and berries - fresh or frozen . Tastes like dessert for breakfast - and (sadly) I will take dessert anytime! ha!







5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Cheri - Thank you for sharing this recipe. It brought back a wealth of memories from days not so long ago that bring a warmth to my heart. My kids (including my daughters-in-law) still come when they hear I have made granola. Those days in McKenzie when your family lived down the street are some of my fondest memories.

Karen

Eden Lang said...

Yummm...another one of my faves!

Jonathon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jonathon said...

Given that I live in the land where granola is a lifestyle - I think I can say with some authority that this is the BEST granola!

Nancy said...

Brag away Cheri, it is absolutely delicious and I've made it 3 times.Lots of rave reviews from family and friends