5.10.10

Treasures

I have the DEAREST, best, friends in the world! I really think I do. I am not at all sure how I rate them but I have decided to not look a gift horse in the mouth and just be grateful for each one. Yesterday was a very tender day for me - much more difficult than I had anticipated. The birth days of my children are special ...sacred really... for me. To be honest I can be a bit emotional on any of their birthdays as I remember their births and the funny/sweet/clever things they have done and what they mean to me. Celebrating their birthdays is more important to me than my own. Anyway, it was emotionally intense to think about Merin yesterday - to remember so much about her and to miss her. We had planned a busy day of work at Mike and Merin's house (her 'birthday present' was to put the countertop on the new kitchen) and when we finally arrived home at 9:30PM tired and a bit sad we found treasures on our doorstep. A whole pile of them! I feel so humble as I realize how profoundly we are loved by so many. It is wonderful and amazing. Years ago my dad taught me that when there is a need the important thing is to do something, anything. It doesn't matter what but DO something. Now I am seeing - again and again - how very wise and right he was. The flowers are beautiful, the gifts thoughtful but it is so much more than the object that comforts. It is the love that is expressed, the concern that is shown by the act of doing something. I feel embraced, protected and cared for by my friends and family. It is truly wonderful and I wonder at it.

When I am tempted to have a pity party I remember the many, many people who have suffered, and who still so suffer, so much. Often with little or no support. And I know that I am blessed. I can do this. And I hope I can do it with grace. I hope I remember and learn. I hope you all know how much I love and appreciate you. Thank you for all the treasures you offer.



...and when she shall pass away,

take her and form her into little stars,

and she will make the face of heaven so fine,

that all the world will be in love with night,

and pay no worship to the garish sun

-Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet

(one of the treasures we found yesterday)


3 comments:

Eden Lang said...

that was so beautifully written mom. We love you so very much. thank you for all the many many things you do for all of us kids. you really are an amazing mother. I hope to be more and more like you every day.
xo.
eden.

Anonymous said...

:) Love you Cheri!

Elaine

Unknown said...

You write so beautifully...your strength is amazing, Mrs. L.